My covered bridge project

Information for all visitors

My covered bridge project

Postby hoosierdaddy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:54 pm

I've been wanting to build one for a while now, and with the Turkey Run comp in Greenville, KY around the corner I figured what better time than now. The goal was to complete the project using stuff around the house and up to $50 in store bought materials. I hit the number on the head "thumbsup" .

My daughter and I tackled the project over the weekend. Here are the freshly assembled side panels. We used balsa wood for the wider side panels. That was my first mistake because I found pieces at Home Depot that I could've used that were a little cheaper.

After a trip to HD I had enough material to finish the base of the bridge. I made it right at 14" wide, big enough to fit nearly any class of scale rig thru. I made a slight miscalculation on the spacing which can be seen on one end.

The colors of choice are Sedona red stain for the sides and flat black paint for the bottom. I used Gorilla wood glue on the joints as well as CA glue to hold them in place while the Gorilla glue cured. I also used thin wire nails to add extra strength.

After the stain and all dried I assembled the rafters and roof joists. It'll be getting LEDs and some other scale touches so I added a small platform up top to mount the battery box and switch.

Overall dimensions are 14.5" wide, The sides are 12" tall to the lowest point and it's right at 3 foot long. I've got some 1/4" thick rough cut wood with some bark on the edges to make the wood shake shingles out of for the roof. I plan on knocking that out some time this week.
The Chop Shop
Jack of all trades, master of none.
hoosierdaddy
Team Driver

Re: My covered bridge project

Postby Locked Up » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Awesome!

Reminds me of the bridge I left ... someplace .... but much nicer.
"thumbsup"
- SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS -
Locked Up
Owner

Postby hoosierdaddy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:32 am

Locked Up wrote:Awesome!

Reminds me of the bridge I left ... someplace .... but much nicer.
"thumbsup"

Lol, thanks Patrick.

I had some 1/4" and less thick wood that I ripped into pieces roughly a inch wide. Then once I broke a few pieces into smaller pieces I started glueing them in place.

Several hours later I had this. I glued the pieces in place with CA glue and then brushed Gorrilla wood glue across the backside to add strength.

After 13 hours of work I had one side done :shock: .

I made the shingles crooked and alternating in size to give the look of a old weathered bridge.

I also picked up a set of warm white battery powered LEDs to string along the main beam down the middle of the bridge.

Next up, the next side :? .
The Chop Shop
hoosierdaddy
Team Driver

Postby Locked Up » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm

That IS awesome!
Locked Up
Owner

Postby hoosierdaddy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:49 pm

Locked Up wrote:That IS awesome!

Thanks Patrick!

I finally got both sides of the roof finished...finally. I stained it all last night, so in a day or so I'll hit it with a black wash to distress the wood. Here it is.
The Chop Shop
hoosierdaddy
Team Driver

Postby sgtsteve » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Awesome bridge "thumbsup"
TEAM MANAGER

sgtsteve
Team Member

Return to Welcome Info and Test Area