Week 1

Our first Team Driver contest

Week 1

Postby frdtrkguy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:53 pm

TIP 1:

I wanted to share the step by step process I use to make a template and hopefully someone puts it to use on their next build!!

For this project we are going to mount an Axial receiver box to a simulated chassis (some scrap delrin)..

Items needed:

Something that needs mounting

Something to mount it to

Lexan

Lexan scissors

Marker

Center punch

Straight edge

Drill bit

Countersink bit

First is to gather your lexan and be sure it is large enough to cover the mounting holes:

Then you will want to mark and cut the lexan to the appropriate size:

Then mark the mounting holes using a sharpie marker:

I use a center punch to dimple the marks:

Next, use a Xacto knife to slightly open up the dimples:

Now you have your template!! Now put that baby to use by marking holes on the mounting surface!!

Now you can drill the holes to the appropriate size, 1/8 in this case. If the item is to be mounted to a chassis and the screw heads will be exposed on the bottom, I recommend countersinking the holes and using pan head screws so they don’t get caught on trail obstacles. We are building rock crawlers here remember?!? Lol!!

Now get off the computer and go build something!!

TIP 2

How to Repair a CVD!!

Needed:
Broken part
Good drill bit
Determination!!

Every once in awhile you find yourself with a broken rig and a need to go wheelin' NOW!! So, as they say.. necessity is the mother of invention!!

After wheelin' some gnarly rocks and using a little whiskey throttle you end up with this:

So you disassemble and form a plan. Mine was to make use of the remaining part of the CVD "bell". So I found an appropriately sized drill bit that was stout enough to drill hardened steel and simply drilled 2 more holes for the CVD cross pin. Mark and drill the holes carefully or you will be waiting a couple of "RC-less" days for your new parts to arrive!!

Re-assemble and buy stronger parts next time!!

This one's simple..

How many threads have you seen where the poster is wanting to know the best method for removing glued tires from rims? CA glue is chemically formulated to permanently bond plastics and rubber. Enter a product that I swear by.. Amazing Goop. The Goop forms a very strong, water resistant and flexible connection on almost everything RC. Furthermore, it is removable with a little elbow grease and can be peeled off of surfaces leaving the surface undamaged and clean!! Guess that is why they call it AMAZING!!

A few RC Uses:

Tire mounting
Tire repairs
Wheel vent hole sealing
Mounting electronics
Waterproofing electronics
Body repairs
Securing fasteners into plastic
Attaching scale accessories
Attaching driver figures

As you can see, the list goes on and on!! What will you use it for on your build?
"Big" Chris M
Gone G6'n
Never Enough Toys!!
frdtrkguy
TNTD Contestant

Return to The Next Team Driver - 1